Roemer Industries manufacturers and sells medical-grade cold storage products. Roemer Industries was started in 2014 with the purpose of building ROAM branded mobile, durable, battery or solar operated medical-grade refrigeration for the US Military and US Healthcare markets. The company is based in San Diego, CA and is led by Elizabeth Roemer the Founder and President.
Most refrigerators and freezers sit in one spot. They are heavy, large, and require an electrical plug to function. A ROAM mobile unit has a self-contained cooling system that can run from a battery, durable exterior, light-weight, and have wheels that permit the unit to move around. Roemer units can run off solar panels too.
Because the technology of small compressors and powerful batteries have advanced to a level that these units can now be produced for any climate. This is opening new markets as customers discover this new technology and incorporate into their processes and workflows.
They don’t cool, they remove heat. People think refrigerators “make cold” but they don’t. Refrigerators and Freezers remove heat from inside the unit and dump it out of the box. The result is lower temperatures inside.
ROAM branded refrigerators and freezers can run from a battery and the battery can be charged by electrical outlet, generators, or solar panels.
They all are designed to move on casters/wheels or be placed on carts. Many of the smaller units can just be carried by a handle.
- Operating Rooms and Emergency Rooms: Since the units roll and run from a battery, they can be wheeled to surgery and critical care areas for “just in case” scenarios. If the blood, plasma, and platelets are not used they can be returned to the blood bank without waste. And, even if your hospital is short on red plugs, these babies are perfect because they run from a battery. Check out our HEMOROAM25XL units.
- Blood Centers: Igloo coolers for blood and plasma transportation can be dumped in favor of a refrigerator that can travel with the blood or plasma and maintain the proper temperature without concern for the amount of time out of the central blood bank cold storage.
- Pharmacy: Remote vaccine or pharmaceutical storage by healthcare workers is simplified as the units are small and battery powered so if the power goes out, the Roemer units can maintain temperature for 24-72 hours from a battery.
- Pharmaceutical Sales Representatives: Roemer mobile units can be carried easily to a car and plugged into the car for battery charge, plus the units are durable and lightweight.
- Compound Pharmacy: Pharmaceutical products that are temperature sensitive and must be mobile should be transported in a Roemer refrigerator or freezer.
- Remote Plasma Collection: Collection of plasma that requires immediate freeze can be quickly frozen with our portable fast freezers allowing more distant collections from the central blood center.
- Disaster Preparedness: Perfect solution for disaster prep since the electrical grid will likely be down, these units can run from a battery or solar power.
- Researchers: Any biological item such as samples or items like reagents that are temperature sensitive can be confidently transported without concern of power or access to dry ice.
- US Military: The reason we made the unit in the first place, helping healthcare workers store blood, plasma, vaccines, and medications in the field.
See our storage chart to find your best size unit.
The units can be a refrigerator or freezer, but you need to pick the one you want so we put the right refrigerant into the unit. They don’t come with the ability to go to both temperatures.
Military grade aluminum and stainless steel handles and hinges so these units will not rust and can take a beating. The military uses these so of course they are tough.
Yes, the Roemer mobile products are assembled and shipped from San Diego, California while the stationary Helmer Scientific units are assembled in Indianapolis, IN.
If you were to place 25 temperature probes measuring temperature throughout the inside of the unit, how much would the temperature vary on those probes. This is usually quantified as something like “ ±1.5℃”. This means the temperature never varies more than 1.5℃ within the unit.
Answers the question, on average how long will it take the temperature to recover the original set point temperature after a standard door opening? Depending on the load, it should regain temp with a few minutes. Our smaller units can maintain temp with the lid open.
Medications, vaccines, blood, plasma, and temperature sensitive biological materials like insulin need to have stringent temperature regulation. Ever freeze your diet coke or lettuce in your home refrigerator? That happens due to the design of the cooling system. Medical-grade refrigeration keeps the temperature in exact ranges and monitors constantly with audible and visual alerts if there is an excursion of temperature.
ROAM models vary on temperature ranges but the refrigerators handle from 1℃ to Ambient, standard freezers from -20° C to 0° C, and plasma freezer from -40° C to -30° C
The units are Hazmat Certified and built with anodized aluminum which prevents them from being stained. Use your normal biohazard cleanup procedures as the storage area is sealed away from the refrigeration parts.
Yes, there is an audible alarm if the temperature gets out of the set point range. Data loggers can be used to record temperatures at all times.
Yes, data loggers can be purchased from Roemer or any vendor. Roemer has a USB data logger that will plug directly into the unit.
Wall plug, generator, battery, solar panels.
Depends on the generator. Will work with a Sine Wave generator, and generator with 12Volt DC outlets.
The smaller units have a cord that connects the battery to the refrigerator or freezer and the larger units (25 liter and up) connect internally with a plug.
One year parts and one year labor. We offer service contracts on all units (except dry ice shipper).
Removable Casters that rotate/lock, Removable Casters that don’t rotate, Dolly Trolley, and medical carts.
The units cannot be submerged in water so they are not waterproof, but they are water resistant. For example, they could be in long periods of rainfall and operate well as they are built to function outdoor.
Since the entire market is basically stationary refrigerators and freezers that sit in one place, we are on our own here with portable medical-grade refrigerators and freezers that run from batteries and can be stored outside. It is lonely to be us.
Yes, call us, we will build it.
The large stationary refrigerator companies believe that you only need what they can mass produce at a cheaper price so basically, they don’t see mobile refrigeration as a product line. Our Founder, Elizabeth Roemer, has been working in this market for a number of years and market research has shown that there has to be a better solution than Igloo coolers with ice packs. Now there is a better solution.
Yes, give us a call and we will share our reference list.